Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Calendar
Guild NewsFeed Icon

HTML Widget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great House Telvanni Forum Index -> The Arcaneum - Research and debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manavortex
Archmagister

re: Crafting: Traits

What's a "trait"?

Armor

Weapon

What do I need them for?

Why would I want that?

How do I research them?

What's a "trait"?

A special property on a piece of equipment. A trait can be researched in the research-tab of the crafting interface. There are currently 9 traits:

Armor:

Divines Increases Mundus Stone effects Unless leveling, you will want this on your gear (or "Infused")
Impenetrable Increases Critical Resistance For PVP
Infused Increases armor enchantment effect Unless running Twice-Born Star, you might want this trait on chest, legs and helmet, as those give the highest enchanting bonus
Nirnhoned Increases spell resistance Good for PVP or certain tank/survival builds
Prosperous Increases gold looted from enemies Also known as “fucking preposterous”, the most useless trait since the invention of traits. Usually drops on high-end gear.
Reinforced Increases Armor You might consider this for shields
Sturdy Reduces block cost As tank, you will want this on one piece of equipment. Otherwise useless.
Training Increase XP from kills The trait to use while you level, after that it's useless
Well-Fitted Reduces the stamina costs of sprinting/roll dodge I put this on RP gear for the lols, otherwise useless unless for certain exotic builds

Weapon:

Sharpened

Increase armor and spell penetration

Best in slot for weapons for damage builds. Screw everything else. 

Charged

Increases your chance to apply status effects

Generally useless, except for certain exotic builds

Defending

Increases armor and spell resistance

You might want this on a tank's weapon or in PVP, otherwise rather useless

Infused

Increases weapon enchant effect / reduces cooldown

Some of the more complicated builds rely on weapon enchant proccs for effects. This is rocket science voodoo stuff, you generally don't need this.

Powered

Increases your healing done

This and Precise is what you might want to consider for healer weapons.

Precise

Increases weapon and spell critical

Together with Powered, you might want to use this on healer weapons.

Training

Increases XP from kills

The trait to have while you are leveling

Weighted

Chance to gain 1 additional ultimate whenever you're gaining ultimate

Generally useless except for some exotic builds
Nirnhoned Increases weapon damage Better than Sharpened for some builds - only go with this if you know what you're doing, though, because the trait stone is sold for 10k+

What do I need them for?

You need to research traits in order to craft set gear. Set gear can be crafted at the stations in the wilderness. In order to create an item there, you need to have researched a number of traits on it. For the first zone (Stonefalls) you need 2 traits, for the second 3, and so on.

Why would I want that?

While set gear is no longer completely best in slot, you usually will want to wear some of it to be effective. While leveling, set gear gives you a decent advantage over dropped stuff because it’s really powerful - it’s generally worth it.

If you research and craft yourself, you will not have to beg (and/or pay) other players to do that for you. It’s your call if you think it’s worth the effort (and the 30-50 skill points it binds). It is, however, easy to just level it up next to leveling up your character.

How do I research them?

At the crafting station - the “research” tab. You can research traits for Blacksmithing, Clothing and Woodworking. Research takes time and nothing else. If you want an Add-On to help you keeping track of your timers, look into Wykkydd’s Taskbar, CraftStore Fixed and Improved or something like ResearchBuddy.

Timers are as follows (ruthlessly stolen here):

1st

6 hours

6 hours

2nd

12 hours

18 hours

3rd

24 hours (1 day)

42 hours (~2 days)

4th

48 hours (2 days)

90 hours (~4 days)

5th

96 hours (4 days)

186 hours (~8 days)

6th

192 hours (8 days)

378 hours (~16 days)

7th

384 hours (16 days)

762 hours (~32 days)

8th

768 hours (32 days)

1530 hours (~64 days)

9th

1536 hours (64 days)

3066 hours (~128 days)

You can speed this up by investing up to 4 skillpoints into the corresponding skill (crafting/craft name/2nd from below).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great House Telvanni Forum Index -> The Arcaneum - Research and debate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: