Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Calendar
Guild NewsFeed Icon

HTML Widget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great House Telvanni Forum Index -> Roleplaying: Our Setting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScattyThePirate
Hireling

re: Dream RP

I don't know what will happen if we die in here - and I don't want to find out either.

Lately, I noticed that Dungeon RP is a very nice opportunity to show off your character’s terrific fighting skills. Mighty wizards explode troll heads with a flick of their fingers, rogues taking out entire strongholds on their own and strong warriors doing an ambitious art project on a crypt wall using necromancer entrails. But alas, if your Orc shaman has absolutely no business with the high-and-mighty Telvanni noble who usually spends their time dissecting the former, it is not very likely that they team up to explore a dark forest full of feral Bosmer together. 

“But this is like my only good character and I so want to do dungeon RP with [random player]!”

Fret not, for your prayers have been heard! Your friendly neighborhood Telvanni Guild has come up with a solution for this problem: Dreams™! Take your average Daedra with serious delusions about how much of a brilliant trickster they are and let them toss mismatching characters into a badly photoshopped version of Tamriel, only to gleefully watch, as they attempt to find a way out of the Dream™.

But in all seriousness: We have been doing this Dream RP several times now and only had good experiences with it so far. It is nice for some casual action-filled roleplay without repercussions. Yeah, you heard me right. Since everything happens during a dream for our characters, they won’t remember anything when they wake up. Fancy loot? Poof! Gone! It’s all been a dream. This enemy of mine who I’d rather murder with a ballista bolt to the face and who suddenly joins me in this endeavor? Must have been a dream. This stranger I met who is actually pretty cool and I totally know where to find them? DREAM! It would also explain why characters can run the same dungeon and fight the same enemies over and over again.

We don’t want our RPers to utilize Dream RP as a cheap excuse to let characters from all four corners of Tamriel bond together. Think about it - How many friends have you made in dreams? So please keep it low! We accept some minor character arcs when it comes to molding your char’s personality – faint notions, blurred details and déjà-vu are perfectly fine, as long as it remains subconscious and they tend to forget about it again. There can be exceptions if you want to use Dream RP to bring a character into our setting – but only if it suits the plot. Lucid Dreaming or even Dreamwalking for example are rare talents or gifts obtained by entering a pact with Vaermina and can be remembered. But be sure to talk to your hub GM about it first, please.

How does the dream work?

Feel free to make up any reason for your characters to be in this situation together or how the dream reality is crafted. Here is how I imagine it personally:

A Daedric Prince (Vaermina, Boethiah or Mephala are most suitable for this purpose) chose a couple of “random” people and placed them in a single dream – the Prince provided the setting and enjoys watching the mortals trying to find a way out. Optionally, the Prince based the dream on at least one group member’s subconscious – the dream is made up of and reacts to their emotions, thoughts and desires. The group usually has to face waves and waves of enemies to cope with – and they have to work together in order to get out again. See how there is a nice reason for mismatching characters to team up? Anyway. The Prince filled the dream with beings of their own making, some of which are used to lock the dream in place. If the group destroys these anchor beings, the dream comes apart at the seams and starts to unravel. Upon destroying the last anchor, the reality around the group falls apart entirely and they fade – waking up in the physical world again. 

But, like I said, this is just my take on how the dream works. We are an RP guild – if you want to spice it up a bit, do so! Be creative! *magical gestures*

Last edited by ScattyThePirate on Oct. 18th, 2016 0:58; edited 1 time in total

If we follow the "can't remember afterwards" I think it is a great way to enjoy the nice dungeons and possibilities. Well I did it before, and I'm in for more :)

Outstanding post, Scatty!

Thanks! But honestly, having plot happen in a dream without (major) impact on the overall setting really is no groundbreaking feature. It just serves entertainment and can to some extent help to figure out a character's personaility a little better. See how they react with others outside of their comfort zone.

But yeah. I just wanted to point out that Dream RP while doing a dungeon for a pledge or whatever is a thing to do and people should try it out :)

Using your imagination in a graphical DikuMUD is always an achievement, Scatty 

There is something, however, rather smoky, exotic and other worldly about Dunmers though that can follow you into your dreams....

And that is relevent... how?

Because you managed to apply your imagination to a DikuMUD....to combat. To me that's interesting because I cannot do that.

The only thing that is stimulated for me in ESO is my libido and only then by fantasy characters with dark skin. 

When I see all those Redguard Wyrd sisters in Malabal Tor I imagine a culture in Alik'r that rejects lesbians. This suggests things to me when Wyress Rashan - gorgeous Redguard - talks about showing my very dark dark elf gal (Varlea in screen shot above) the hospitality of her sisters.

But, alas, Varlea is far more interested in Redguard men with large biceps. She hangs out in a bar in Sentinel but turns out, hung over and fortified with a nip from a flask, to the weekly sermon at the Tribunal Temple in Mournhold. She gets her dose of ALMSIVI and returns to Sentinel.

The sermon last week was about the loneliness people feel when they turn away from The Three. She considers this. Lonely in the morning, perhaps, but not in the evening, she concludes. 

This sort of rumination is easy on the landscape. This is how I get a sense of my various characters' personalities....probably because so much of my youth was involved with seduction and sex and how a person prone to intense serial attractions copes with the fall out of people who develop feelings for you. But actual intimacy would ruin everything....wouldn't it?

Combat in this sort of game is difficult for me. It makes me anxious, not imaginative. When playing on the EU server with this guild, my main was Andala and, yes, she had fun in Dungeons but only after the final boss was dead and she could slip into another outfit.

Here she is with Halle Balle, one of this guild's founders and former guild master at the end of Direfrost Keep. Standing nearby is Gaius Sulla, another founder of this guild.

Or, before the battle perhaps....

But the actual dungeon was all business. No dreams, no RP, nothing imaginative. So many players find PvE in this game so easy they have room in their heads for such things 

Or perhaps I misunderstood entirely. When you say, in dungeons, I assume you meant while fighting.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great House Telvanni Forum Index -> Roleplaying: Our Setting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: